Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Rain

I went back to work yesterday. Just to work to make sure we can pay the bills next month.
Its raining right now and the kids are on my nerves. I would rather be at the hospital, playing with Elisha or bouncing Rias on my knee.

I went in to see Isaac last night and he was awake. Sedated awake and uncomfortable (not talking or anything) but fighting his breathing tube and looking around. I know he is in a lot of pain, but I also know he can handle it and its all a part of this process. He even squeezed my hand a little bit when I asked him to (to distract him from biting his breathing tube.)

Life has really just been standing still. I haven't bought a single Christmas present, we are supposed to leave for Seattle on Saturday, but that has been postponed. Everything that is not completely necessary has stopped for now. I know that hospital and the nurses and the hallways like I know my house right now. Its very strange and surreal.

We have so much good news. So much to be thankful for.

And I have to admit I am a little sad. I love this time of year and I was really looking forward to seeing my family for a long vacation. That feels selfish to say in light of all of this, but it is just my honest truth.

Here is the latest update from Ritha, from Isaac's progress website.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/isaaccanales

"
Good morning. Isaac continues to improve and tries to wake up. Not too happy with the breathing tube that is still necessary with his heavy sedation. He seemed to be getting a little agitated while Etol was reading Psalms 7, 8, 121, 122, 123, and 124. Guess he was feeling the need to preach it. We have been playing a variety of CD's for him, including Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra Christmas classics. Dr. Do (his surgeon) came by to check Isaac over, review his lab tests, etc. He is pleased with his progress.
1) Heart rate continues to be a normal sinus rhythm - yea!
2) Blood pressure stable
3) No bleeding problems - his platelet count is 122,000 - normal range
4) Blood count is stable
5) Kidneys are producing plenty of urine. His creatinine is 3.4 - gradually going down on its own (normal is less than 1.3).
6) White blood cell count (indication of infectious tissue) still elevated, but Dr. Do expects that it will improve after this surgery.
Prayer request:
1) Surgery to go smoothly and not set back any of his improvements
2) Kidneys to continue to improve
3) After surgery - a speedy recovery- remove the breathing tube, decrease some of his medications "

No comments: