Saturday, April 26, 2008






Today we went hiking in Malibu. It was surreal to drive 30 minutes from our house and be in the middle of the mountains hiking along a stream. It was nice that it was almost 90 degrees and we could hike in our bathing suits. Dave let me know this morning that this year there is an unusually high number of rattle snakes in Malibu canyon. Perfect. We hiked up to this stream and pool with sandwiches and fruit salad. Kate and I swam (or rather stood neck high in freezing cold water... not the 90 degree weather didn't make it OK) while Dave and Duron hiked around and jumped off rocks. They tried to convince us to swim across the water to the big jumping rock but we were freezing. I think Duron realized how cold it really was when he had to swim back across after sitting on the rock for a half hour watching these crazy guys jump off a 40 foot cliff. Dave jumped in and swam back while Duron scaled the rock walls around to the path barefoot. He has size 14 feet so they looked a little more like paddles than shoes (ha ha that's for you Kate and D :). So we made it safe without any rattler encounters, but we saw a lot of lizards, bugs, heard some bullfrogs, and a little gofer peeked out of his hole and tried to make friends with us. Afterward our hike and swim we treated ourselves to some ice cream. First time I had any since I went vegan. I only made it through half a scoop before my tummy said "that is all thank you!" Now we are home and have all of the doors open and the fan on. Sounds like a good night for some tacos and coronas. I think my house might combust if I turned on the stove...

No comments: